Very annoying IMAP problem (cyrus + Outlook)

Michael Menge michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Fri Aug 22 07:24:51 EDT 2008

Quoting Denis BUCHER <dbucherml at hsolutions.ch>:

> Michael Menge a écrit :
>> Quoting Denis BUCHER <dbucherml at hsolutions.ch>:
>>>
>>> We have 50 people using Outlook on our IMAP cyrus server. It's
>>> wonderful : fast, efficient, no problem, easy...
>>>
>>> But for 4-5 days I have a strange problem only on one PC :
>>> * Outlook has to reconnect to the server every 5 minutes because of
>>> "Fatal error: word too long".
>>>
>>> As far as I understand, the cause of the problem is :
>>> * "Outlook is sending either a token or quoted string that is longer
>>> than 8K bytes."
>>>
>>> But how could I correct this problem either in Outlook or cyrus ???
>>> * Can I simply delete the "offending" email in Outlook, but how to
>>> find which one ?
>>>
>>> Denis Bucher
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> you can investigate the problem further by activating cyrus
>> telemetry  logging for that user. Create a directory with the name
>> of the userid  in {configdirectory}/log . Cyrus will create files
>> in there wich will  contain all data send and recieved after
>> authentication.
>>
>>        Michael Menge
>
> What do you call the configdirectory for cyrus ? I have different
> places with cyrus (I'm using the standard package provided with SuSE
> Linux / SLES 10) :
>
> 1. I have a "cyrus" user with all binaries inside "bin" in the homedir
> 2. In "/var/spool/imap/user/" there are all user accounts with the mails...

The configdirectory is set in /etc/imapd.conf it should default to
/var/lib/imap

> But I think I understand, I have to create the "log" directory into :
> /var/spool/imap/user/dbucher
> which means :
> /var/spool/imap/user/dbucher/log

No, the log directory should already be there, so you have to
create /var/lib/imap/log/dbucher ,take care that cyrus as permissions to
write in that directory.

> Is that enough and correct, no config to add or command in cyradm ?

Yes thas enough, no config no command in cyradm but you created it in
the wrong place.

       Michael Menge

M.Menge                                 Tel.: (49) 7071/29-70316
Universitaet Tuebingen                  Fax.: (49) 7071/29-5912
Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung          mail:
michael.menge at zdv.uni-tuebingen.de
Waechterstrasse 76
72074 Tuebingen