Cyrus vs Dovecot

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Tue Aug 12 09:27:15 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 12:53 +0200, Mathieu Kretchner wrote:
> Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :
> >> The real question is because we have only 2 options :
> >> Why should I choose Cyrus instead of dovecot ?
> > Features like delayed expunge, message expiration, etc... that allow you
> > to have a managed mail store.  Cyrus is the only Open Source IMAP/POP
> > server I know of with any capacity to support data-retention policies.
> Ok thanks ! A good point on the cyrus side !
> What about the performance ?

Cyrus performance is excellent.  Is there a specific problem?
Personally I don't think anything is faster than Cyrus.

> Does my next configuration will run correctly ? Which hardware should I
> buy for this activity ?

Beats me.

> At present, we have a lot of I/O, we wonder if the last version of cyrus
> is improved for this point ?

If you have allot of users and allot of mail you are going to have allot
of I/O.  No way around that, regardless of the server.  Cyrus' indexes
headers better now, so that might help.  But you still need adequate
through-put.  I've found that /var/lib/imap (meta-data) needs fast I/O
but /var/spool/imap (message store) doesn't due too bad tossed onto a
SAN or slower disks.