APOP No Longer Working after Upgrade to IMAPd 2.3.12p2

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Apr 30 22:44:48 EDT 2008

Andrew Morgan wrote, at 04/30/2008 08:05 PM:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Jorey Bump wrote:
>
>> Andrew Morgan wrote, at 04/30/2008 05:15 PM:
>>
>>> Cyrus IMAP calls out to the sasl libraries to generate the APOP
>>> challenge. On my Debian Etch system, libsasl2.so uses /dev/random.
>>
>> How do you determine if it uses /dev/random?
>
> cyrus-be2:/usr/lib/sasl2# strings /usr/lib/libsasl2.so.2.0.19 | grep random
> /dev/random

This is the case on all of my machines. I looked at the source package
of my distribution (Slackware) and it compiles Cyrus SASL with the
default of /dev/random. I recompiled it to use /dev/urandom, and my
webmail connections no longer hang. I still lose entropy fairly quickly,
but it doesn't block. Hopefully, there isn't a strong downside to this
change.

Using pop3test, I'm able to authenticate with APOP.