APOP No Longer Working after Upgrade to IMAPd 2.3.12p2

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Wed Apr 30 16:45:07 EDT 2008

Wesley Craig wrote, at 04/30/2008 04:26 PM:
> Two options: some motherboards have an entropy generator hardware
> device; or, use the random device that doesn't block when entropy is low.

I think Cyrus IMAPd uses /dev/urandom by default, but I'm not sure how I
can confirm this. I didn't specify anything during compilation, and I
can't find a runtime setting to explicitly select the random device,
either.

In any case, I can now faithfully trigger the problem by making multiple
webmail requests until the browser hangs, then hold down the spacebar of
the server's keyboard to build up entropy until the request is served
and performance returns to normal. I haven't had a chance to check if
this restores APOP, though.

Maybe an IMAP proxy would help prevent the webmail from depleting the
entropy, but I'm still wondering why this is a problem on this server
running Linux kernel 2.6 and not my other IMAP servers running Linux
kernel 2.4. I have an identical Linux 2.6 server that isn't having this
problem, and the only difference is that it doesn't have Cyrus IMAPd on it.