Cyrus infrastructure performance less than expected

Eric Déchaux Eric.Dechaux at Sun.COM
Tue Apr 29 02:55:38 EDT 2008

Pascal Gienger a écrit :
> Eric Déchaux <Eric.Dechaux at Sun.COM> wrote:
>
>> The older infrastructure can stand the 42 000 concurrent sessions, the
>> new one can't : I was expecting each frontend to be able to handle 5 500
>> concurrent sessions but they are not. Around 3 000 / 3 500 concurrent
>> sessions the frontends begin to SWAP and are not more able keep up the
>> load.
>
> Did I undertand correctly: You are virtualizing each component and
> your frontends begin to swap in their virtual environment?
> Is there any reason why you don't assign more RAM to them? Does your
> frontend virtual machines run a 64 bit kernel?
That's it. The frontend begin to swap, not the ESX. We have scaled the
ESX RAM to avoid SWAPING on the ESX level.
In fact we can't assign anymore memory as the X4600 can't handle more
than 64 Gb.

Another point is we have doubled total RAM compared to the actual
platfrom and I don't understand why it behaves so badly.

> We abandoned all Linux for our Cyrus Servers and switched to Solaris
> 10 with Zoning and ZFS. We have less concurrent users than you but
> more storage (10 T at the moment).

I would have loved to put Solaris, Zones and Massaging Server here but
it was not a possibility. Custorme chose was VMware + Linux + Cyrus.

Many thanks.
--
Eric