Hello cyrus users

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 07:17:41 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Simon Matter <simon.matter at invoca.ch> wrote:
> > I am not sure how happy I am too find out about cyrus.
>  >
>  > I just spent a lot of time getting everythig working on my first
>  > server...and even sendmail was not too hard (centos 5 sets it up rather
>  > well)...
>  >
>  > Then I see I needed a pop3 doo hickey..
>  >
>  > Holy moly.
>  >
>  > Looking for cyrus on machine was interesting as almost all of the files
>  > would not come up with a 'locate' command. And still do not. I am manually
>  > going through all the doc folders and etc and sys folders since locate
>  > cannot find them (and they are there)
>
>  maybe
>  rpm -ql cyrus-imapd
>

>  >
>  > There is only one book on amazon about cyrus and it is not in print
>  > yet....one. And it has nothing to do with sendmail. Redhat has little info
>  > on it although it calls it the 'default' pop3 for the enterprise 5.1
>  > (centos
>  > in my case)
>  >
>  > All I am looking to do is have sendmail put the mail into users mailboxes
>  > (users who will be from virtual hosts like jim at mysite.com and
>  > sally at myothersite.com) and just allow me to grab the emails with good old
>  > outlook....and of course send the mails (but that is sendmail I believe.)
>  >
>  > Are there any good tutorials just for that, cause by god the program does
>  > everything under the sun and is rather confusing at first glance...
>
>  How many users do you have, how do you want to authenticate them? Things
>  are quite different if you have 10 or 10000 users on a server. Cyrus can
>  do alot which is why it has quite some features you may have to configure.
>  I can't help with sendmail, I didn't touch it in the last 8 years but
>  found postfix much easier for me.

postfix is a very good alternative to sendmail, I dont know why
redhat/fedora still
provide sendmail as the default !

Use google, for example search for : postfix cyrus imap howto
You will find link like below, read some of them to have a whider advice.

http://nakedape.cc/info/Cyrus-IMAP-HOWTO/quickstart-fedora.html

an hint: prefer LMTP  to cyrdeliver.

Regards

>  Simon