how to use cyradm with imaps ?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Mon Apr 14 14:42:43 EDT 2008

Andrew Morgan wrote, at 04/14/2008 12:44 PM:

> Isn't there a way to have Cyrus listen on the regular IMAP port (143)
> but require a secure connection to login?  Some trick with
> allowplaintext and/or sasl_minimum_layer?

Yes. For example:

   sasl_pwcheck_method: auxprop
   sasl_mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5
   allowplaintext: no
   sasl_minimum_layer: 128

To connect with cyradm using TLS:

   cyradm localhost -tls

> Who cares if you listen on 143 as long as people aren't sending
> passwords in the clear.  TLS is as good as SSL.

Agreed. Furthermore, it stops a lot of brute force password cracking
attempts dead in their tracks, since most don't attempt to use encrypted
connections (they're looking for low hanging fruit, I guess).