Subject problem [munge8bit option provided by patch]

Andrzej Adam Filip anfi at onet.eu
Thu Apr 3 12:14:45 EDT 2008

Joseph Brennan <brennan at columbia.edu> wrote:

> --On Thursday, April 3, 2008 17:26 +0300 Nikos Gatsis <ngatsis at qbit.gr>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm facing a strange problem.
>> Every message I receive with Greek characters in subject cyrus
>> "translate" them to XXXXX...
>>
>> Does somebody know what's going on?
>

> It means the Subject had 8-bit characters, not encoded.  The sender's
> email program should be encoding them.  The header portion of mail
> is required to be 7-bit only.

There are available patches that can "fix" the behavior:

<quote src="/etc/imapd.conf on debian">
# Munging illegal characters in headers
# Headers of RFC2882 messages must not have characters with the 8th bit
# set. However, too many badly-written MUAs generate this, including most
# spamware. If you kept reject8bit disabled, you can choose to leave the
# crappage untouched by disabling this (if you don't care that IMAP SEARCH
# won't work right anymore.
munge8bit: no
</quote>

--