Sieve forwarding loop destroys e-mail

Matt Garretson mattg at assembly.state.ny.us
Tue Apr 1 16:48:49 EDT 2008

And, Joseph Brennan wrote:
> We might be smarter with case [1] if lmtpd inserted a "X-Been-Here"
> type header as it hands off to the MTA, so that it could detect a
> loop the first time the message comes back.

Along similar lines, any well-written Procmail recipe which redirects
mail typically checks for, or adds, an "X-Loop" header before
forwarding anything.

If the "editheader" Sieve extension gets implemented, then a well-
written sieve script should be able to do the same type of thing.
To me this seems a bit more sane than expecting lmtp or sieve to
accomplish it automatically.

-Matt