Multiple partition question.

Michael D. Sofka sofkam at rpi.edu
Fri Sep 28 23:42:55 EDT 2007

On Friday 28 September 2007 08:56:53 pm Michael Sofka wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have a failing back-end server.  The cause is, possible, the RAID
> controller.
>
> So, I'm working on migrating mailboxes off of this server, and on to
> another back-end server.
>
> The other backend server, however, does not have enough space.  Since the
> target back-end server has SAN attached storage, and is using LVM, I can
> grow it's single IMAP data partition.  But, I would rather not since this
> is really temporary space, which we will give up once the failing server is
> working again.
>
> I know Cyrus allows for multiple data partitions, but we are currently
> using a single data partition.  Is it possible, on the target machine, to
> add a new partition, and them migrate data to it (from the failing server).
>  Can this be done without an outage?

Found the answer to my own question. I just need to add a partition-<name>
definition to imapd.conf and restart the daemons.  (I HUP is insufficient,
unless you are willing to wait for all the imapd's to restart on their own.)

The mailboxed.db contains the partition name, which is "default" by default,
in our case.

Mike

Michael D. Sofka               sofkam at rpi.edu
C&MT Sr. Systems Programmer,   Email, TeX, Epistemology
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY.  http://www.rpi.edu/~sofkam/