unexpunge+replication behaviour

Paul Dekkers Paul.Dekkers at surfnet.nl
Thu Sep 27 11:30:12 EDT 2007

Hi,

Стоян Цалев wrote:
> I'm currently playing around with cyrus 2.3.9 and replication. It seems quite
> stable and in fact, perfectly usable. However, I ran into a problem with
> the delayed expunge feature. It looks like this - when I delete a mail (via
> IMAP) on the master, the same happens on the replica, as it should. Then I
> use the unexpunge utility to list deleted mails (both on the master and
> replica) and they are being displayed correctly - i.e. same number of deleted
> msgs, same msg UIDs, etc. Then I  use unexpunge to "undelete" a mail, and it
> works great - the msg appears as new on the master. However, it remains
> deleted on the replica...
> I guess it's a problem when bringing the replica up as a master after a
> failure, because the previously unexpunged mail on the master would appear as
> deleted. So my question is: Is this behaviour expected/planned? I mean, is it
> a feature or a bug ;)
>
> Any input is greatly appreciated.

Perhaps a similar problem (but not as annoying as unexpunge) is other
manipulation like with ipurge: if you ipurge Trash folders or so, this
is not propagated to the replica - unless the user actually does
something else with this folder (open it or so, and a complete resync is
done - manual sync of a user does the same). So if the roles are
switched, old mail will show up in the folders again... :-)
(Still better though than not having undeleted messages.)

Paul