Cyrus IMAP 2.3.9 on Solaris 10 with ZFS and SAN

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 21 23:01:46 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 05:53:48PM -0400, Wesley Craig wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2007, at 13:36, Pascal Gienger wrote:
> > A proxy would mean another possibility of failure. How stable is
> > that proxy daemon? Another two boxes for redundancy?
>
> UMich runs the caching proxy on the host running httpd/webmail.  up-
> imapproxy is very stable.

Fastmail runs our own "imappool" which is a funky daemon capable
of passing FDs around between processes.  I don't know how it works
precisely, but it uses Socket::Pool which had a sourceforge project
and doesn't appear to any more.  My guess is that I'd rather not
look at the code for fear of going totally insane.

But yeah, connection caching is nice.  Even just the fork overhead
on the backend servers is something we can do without if it's
avoidable.

Bron.