Cyrus IMAP 2.3.9 on Solaris 10 with ZFS and SAN

Pascal Gienger Pascal.Gienger at uni-konstanz.de
Fri Sep 21 13:36:01 EDT 2007

Wesley Craig <wes at umich.edu> wrote:

> I might suggest running a connection caching daemon, up-imapproxy
> springs to mind.  LOGIN & SELECT are not exactly lightweight.

Actually, login is lightweight and never was source of performance misses.
As the webmail applications are "talking" via a private subnet to our cyrus
servers there is no need to use some highly secure algorithms, and cram-md5
is fast.

For the SELECTs, I will try to use Bron's patch to install a status
database. Seems to be a smart idea, on my test system here it runs already.

A proxy would mean another possibility of failure. How stable is that proxy
daemon? Another two boxes for redundancy?

In our installation it is not possible to log on as cyrus or other admin
users from outside, I patched the imapd to check the caller's ip address -
and the firewall does the rest so that no forged packet (with an inside
sender ip coming from outside...) will trigger it.

Pascal