Murder works wonderfully but alarms users

Dale Ghent daleg at umbc.edu
Tue Sep 11 08:55:16 EDT 2007

On Sep 10, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Gary Mills wrote:

> We have a Cyrus murder configuration with one proxy front-end and
> one storage back-end.  I'm very pleased with it.  However, users who
> happen to look at the full headers of their e-mail are often alarmed
> by the word `murder' that appears in the first `Received' header.
> It's even worse when the message is from daemon!
>
> Here are some typical headers.  Would it be possible to eliminate
> the offensive word or replace it with something more meaningful?

We let reason prevail and point them to the dictionary, explaining
what Cyrus means, and why is has bearing on a flock of crows (a
murder of crows).

Sincethey're looking at and presumably understanding Received
headers, they should be able to understand that "murder" doesn't
only  mean the act of killing someone.

/dale