storing mail across several cyrus partitions

Artem Bokhan artist at academ.org
Mon Sep 3 08:54:25 EDT 2007

> Cyrus puts one folder on one partition. you can put subfolders on
> other partitions, but you cant have two partitions connected with one
> folder.
> Cyrus has no way to decide where it would store the email on disk and
> it would cost more time to merge these partitions in memory if a usere
> access his mailfolder. This structure is used in all parts of cyrus.
> To implement
> something like this would be fundamental work like writing a new
> mailserver.

Hm, does cyrus ever scan the content of filesystem (files,subfolders)?
Or it uses direct access to filesytem objects like files and folders
based on information from inner database?

What is about  creating subpartitions like:

/partition1/sub1/u/user/user1/*messages*
/partition1/sub2/u/user/user1/*messages*
/partition1/sub3/u/user/user1/*messages ?

Creation of subpartitions seems to be fundamental too?

>> I would like to make extendable (by size) user mailboxes, but I don't
>> want to move accounts over partitions when disk space becomes low,
>> instead I want to attach new storages and store new mail there.
>>

> There are more easy ways to do what you want.
> 1. you can move user or subfolder to an other partition.
>    In murdersetup you can do this even accros mailserver, without
> downtime,
>    if you run short in memory, cputime or bandwidth.
Moving of accounts will cause downtime of the current account and will
cause high loads on hardware when accounts are large...
Also I want to be able to extend size of user's accounts without pain
when my boss will ask to extend them x10 or x100 .....

> 2. you can put the partition on a filesystem/lvm-volume which supports
>    resizing, so you can add a new dist to the volume and resize it.

May somebody recommend reliable/safe filesystem that support resizing?
I'm afraid to use anything except ext3 in production enviroment...