IOERROR: reading message: unexpected end of file (message_copy_strict)

Ian G Batten ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com
Wed Oct 24 06:10:48 EDT 2007

On 23 Oct 07, at 1943, David Carter wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Ken Murchison wrote:
>
>> Your problem is most likely related to using NFS.  NFS has never been
>> recommended for Cyrus because is doesn't play nice with mmap() and
>> flock(), both of which are critical to the operation of Cyrus.
>
> While I agree entirely with "don't use Cyrus over NFS",

I'm not sure I agree (although my experience is ~1000 users and ~2TB,
so rather smaller than a lot of people here).  mmap() over NFS
arrived in Solaris 8 and we've never had problems with it, and
although I accept that locking is a living hell, for the case of an
imap message store it's perfectly legitimate to use the llock mount
option and handle it all at the client end.  I had NFS store on
machines that do nothing else (in some cases _can_ do nothing else),
and export lumps of storage to the Cyrus server and the Cyrus server
alone.

> I see these errors
> using a local filesystem. A quick grep pins the likely cause down to
> message_copy_strict(), which is called by append_fromstream().

It is indeed always from message_copy_strict (I tagged all the
messages in the source and recompiled)

Oct 24 10:45:11 mailhost-new.ftel.co.uk imap[18187]: [ID 722758
local6.error] IOERROR: reading message: unexpected end of file
(message_copy_strict)

> I don't think that this is anything more sinister than TCP connections
> dropping out partway through a large IMAP APPEND operation.
> Entirely safe.

OK, I'll see if I can test that assumption.

ian