IOERROR: reading message: unexpected end of file (message_copy_strict)

Ian G Batten ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com
Tue Oct 23 08:27:20 EDT 2007

Since we moved to 2.2.6 on Solaris 10, with storage coming via NFS,
we've been seeing ``IOERROR: reading message: unexpected end of
file'' intermittently.  It doesn't seem to cause any harm.  I went
through and placed the function name in each occurrence of the
message (as a note, non-unique messages in different functions are a
bit of a pain) and the error is always arising from message_copy_strict.

I've seen the problem with Solaris 10 build 58 with 2.2.6 and 2.2.8
on an E450 and Solaris 10 09/07 with 2.2.8 and 2.3.9 on a T2000, all
with NFS storage from other Suns and from a Pillar.  I've not seen
the problem with Solaris 10 09/07 on Intel with 2.3.9, but that's not
using NFS.

Before I do the surgery to establish the file in which the error is
occurring (which might not help anyway), is the changelog entry for
2.3.10RC3:

      * Finally fixed (again?) alignment issues on 64-bit SPARC.

anything to do with this problem?

ian