Can I restore from ctl_deliver -d?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 07:59:27 EDT 2007

Hi

You are very conscientious.
Because deliver.db only avoid multiple delivery of the same email in
the same mailbox,
most of us should have skipped this. Multiple delivery should be very
rare, happend only once, and without consequences.

Dou you know you can "expire" oldest entries in deliver.db using cyr_expire ?
This could reduce the time processing and maybe avoid errors.

Regards.

On 10/11/07, Ian G Batten <ian.batten at uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:
> I'm performing a migration from 2.2.8 on an E450 running Solaris 10
> Beta Build 58 to 2.3.9 on a T2000 running Solaris 10 latest.  The
> former isn't zoned (it wasn't available in that build), isn't smf'd
> (ditto) and isn't ZFS'd (ditto).
>
> The new machine has Cyrus in a zone, rooted on ZFS, with the local
> storage also on ZFS.
>
> The mailboxes themselves (35K mailboxes, a couple of terabytes) are
> on NFS storage (some on Sun, mostly on a Pillar), so I'm testing the
> new configuration by performing a metadata migration from read-only
> mounts.  I've written a script to perform the migration in an rsync
> style, paralleled over the T2000, which is able to sync the metadata
> between the live storage and the new metadata partition in 35 seconds.
>
> Just to ensure the best health and hygiene, I'm rebuilding as many
> databases as I can.  The mailboxes file is the result of ctl_mboxlist
> -d | ctl_mboxlist -u, the sasldb is the result of db_dump -p and
> db_load, etc, etc.
>
> However, the one that seems resistant to this is deliver.db (skiplist
> format).  cvt_cyrusdb ... skiplist ... flat takes five hours before
> failing, and although ctl_deliver -d appears to run quickly and
> correctly, I can't see an immediately obvious way to reload it.
> Obviously, this isn't a big problem: I can just shut down the old
> Cyrus instance, copy the file over, and all is well.  But having
> databases de-fragmented, built with the same bits that are in
> production, is a nice confidence booster if it's possible.
>
> ian
>
> ----

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com