Sieve with Horde/Ingo not finding Mailbox

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Wed Oct 10 15:19:41 EDT 2007

> After checking out the options available to me, I've decided to use
> Sieve to configure custom filters, as Exim has full support for reading
> Sieve scripts.

??? What does your MTA (Exit) have to do with SIEVE filters.  SIEVE
filters are handled in the mail store.

> I have installed the Cyrus-IMAP package, and configured
> it only to run Timseived (in hindsight, I probably should have used the

Won't work.

> Cyrus IMAP daemon itself, but I want to get this server deployed ASAP
> and then look at moving over to Cyrus IMAP if it looks to be a better
> option).

It is.

> The chain of events for authentication goes:
> Ingo --> Sieve --> SASLAUTHD --> PAM --> (Mysql/LDAP)
> USers authenticate by supplying their full email address (allows Exim to
> decide how to verify their identity). I have authentication working with
> accounts stored in MySQL (will do LDAP later), but I am now hitting a
> problem. Sieve is accepting authenticated connections from Ingo when I
> create/enable/disable a rule, but eventually Ingo times out with a
> "Failed to receive from the socket" error. I am getting this error from
> Sieve in the maillog while logged in as adam at serpentdream.net -
> Oct 10 14:37:51 socrates sieve[12449]: executed
> Oct 10 14:37:51 socrates sieve[12449]: accepted connection
> Oct 10 14:37:51 socrates sieve[12449]: Mailbox does not exist

Because as far as timsieved is concerned the mailbox doesn't.  timsieved
operates inside the Cyrus 'black box';  you have to either use Cyrus or
not, you can't use parts.

> I'm slightly confused by this for two reasons:
> 1) I already have Maildirs set up in /data1/mail/<domain>/<username>/Maildir

Cyrus doesn't use Maildir;  thus timsieve doesn't have any knowledge of
those mailboxes.  Cyrus maintains its own mail store and a mailbox (and
various other meta-data) database,  that database is what timsieved
needs.

> 2) I'm not 100% sure where I want to store the Sieve scripts. As I'm
> dealing with what are essentially virtual user accounts, they have no
> unix home dir on this system. I thought perhaps storing them in the root
> of each user's Maildir would be appropriate?

timsieved will store the SIEVE script in the Cyrus meta-data
folder/volume.  Usually /var/lib/imap.  User's don't need accounts to
have SIEVE scripts, they exist within the Cyrus black box.

> 3) From what I can gather from googling, the default path for cyrus
> mailboxes is /var/spool/imap, and this is somehow tied in with "hashing"
> to produce /var/spool/imap/d/domain/n/name/u/username paths.... but

Yep.

> again, I'm unclear on this and would rather keep scripts and mail in one
> place.

No, keeping mail and meta-data in one place is bad.

> I have tried manually creating folders in the structure mentioned above
> (and made them world-writeable just for testing), but have so far been
> unsuccessful. It would be helpful if Sieve would reference the path it's
> looking for, so I could at least manually create the folder and get it
> writing scripts.... I haven't even tried getting Exim to pick up the
> scripts yet!

Nope, because Cyrus maintains the structure and mailbox list in a
database that may or may not correspond to physical file-system
structure.

> Hopefully I haven't made a complete hash of this,

You have. :)

> and someone can
> perhaps give me a pointer in the right direction? Is Sieve the right
> thing for me? I've heard about Courier Maildrop, but I don't know about
> compatibility with Exim.... Of everything, I want to keep Exim in place.

Migrate your Maildir folders into Cyrus,  there are tools for that.  Use
Cyrus, accept no substitutes.

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com