LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Sat Oct 6 13:58:36 EDT 2007

Personally, I've seen Solaris bottlenecking on file opens in large
directories.  This was a while ago, but it was one of the major
reason we switched to Linux -- the order of magnitude improvement in
directory scale was sure handy for 80-90K users with no quota.  The
kind of blocking I'm talking about didn't show up in sar or iostat,
despite being "IO" in nature.  Of course it was some sort of
algorithmic inefficiency in the directory data structures, not the
speed of moving data on & off the disk.  As a general statement, tho,
finding bottlenecks like the one UCDavis is complaining about is done
by process sampling.  No guessing required.

:wes