LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Fri Oct 5 14:33:19 EDT 2007

On 04 Oct 2007, at 18:33, Vincent Fox wrote:
> Interesting, but this is approximately 15K users per backend.
> Which is
> where we are now after 30K users per backend were crushed.  I am much
> more interested in exploring whether Cyrus hits some tipping point
> where
> a single backend cannot handle more than X users.

Cyrus has lots of inherent limits, but nothing as concrete as what
you're hypothesizing.  From your problem description, it sounds very
much like your users were demanding more IO than your systems had
available.  A problem like that can be addressed a number of way:
throw more hardware at it; cache more data; identify users on the
abusive end and help them reconfigure; etc.  Each solution depends on
your available resources: capital dollars; programming & sysadmin
resources; user support; etc.

Pin pointing exactly which bottleneck you hit is not easy to do for
someone without detailed access to accounting data.  Pin pointing
what resource(s) you have available to address the problem(s)
requires an understanding of your resources.

:wes