System I/O error on reconstruct after nuking cyrus.* files

Rick Kunkel kunkel at w-link.net
Thu Oct 4 21:34:53 EDT 2007

Hello all,

Is this normal?  I swear to have seen people suggesting trashing cyrus.*
files and running reconstruct on the user, but I'm having no luck.  In
this case, that was not what was attempted, but the end result is the
same.  The cyrus.* files are gone.  See for yourself...

-rw------- 1 cyrus mail   5166 2007-10-02 10:21 194.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  13470 2007-10-02 12:30 195.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 115255 2007-10-02 17:25 196.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  27511 2007-10-02 23:47 197.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  36699 2007-10-03 00:37 198.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  23593 2007-10-03 11:40 199.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail   5020 2007-10-03 14:45 200.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  10601 2007-10-03 21:32 201.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  30683 2007-10-04 00:50 202.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  59606 2007-10-04 02:33 203.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  75449 2007-10-04 07:55 204.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  10210 2007-10-04 09:38 205.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 267003 2007-10-04 10:12 206.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  80387 2007-10-04 10:57 207.
-rw------- 1 cyrus mail  41473 2007-10-04 12:14 208.
drwx------ 2 cyrus mail   4096 2007-10-04 18:08 Drafts
drwx------ 2 cyrus mail   4096 2007-10-04 18:25 Junkmail
drwx------ 2 cyrus mail   4096 2007-10-04 18:08 remote_pinerc
drwx------ 2 cyrus mail   4096 2007-10-04 18:08 Sent
drwx------ 2 cyrus mail   4096 2007-10-04 18:26 Trash

OK.... Runnin cyradm as the the cyrus user...
(We're running "unixhierarchysep: yes", BTW)

localhost> lam user/darel*
user/darel:
   darel lrswipcda
   cyrus lrswipcda
user/darel/Drafts:
   darel lrswipcda
   cyrus lrswipcda
user/darel/Junkmail:
   darel lrswipcda
   cyrus lrswipcda
user/darel/Sent:
   darel lrswipcda
   cyrus lrswipcda
user/darel/Trash:
   darel lrswipcda
   cyrus lrswipcda
user/darel/remote_pinerc:
   darel lrswipcda
   cyrus lrswipcda
localhost> reconstruct -r user/darel
reconstruct: System I/O error

I have tried about ever possible combination of things I can think of, to
no effect.  Somewhere I saw touching new files with the same names and
permissions, but that just generates an "Invalid Mailbox" error.  Also, if
I move cache files from another directory in there and run reconstruct,
everything works, but the existing messages in the directory can't be
seen.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rick Kunkel