LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Vincent Fox vbfox at ucdavis.edu
Thu Oct 4 14:41:46 EDT 2007

I suppose I should have given a better description:

University mail setup with 60K-ish faculty, staff, and students
all in one big pool no separation into this server for faculty
and this one for students, etc.

Load-balanced pools of smallish v240 class servers for:
SMTP
MX
AV/spam scanning
LDAP
mail-proxy redirection (Perdition)

So yeah we have multiple layers.  All the backend Cyrus 2.3.8
systems are doing is mail-store.  We have sendmail on them right
now handing off to LMTP but are working on moving to going
from the MX pool using LMTP over TCP to eliminate that step.
We are not even doing Murder.  Having had the Perdition proxy
pool already in place didn't really see a compelling need for it.

Anyhow, just wondering if we the lone rangers on this particular
edge of the envelope.  We alleviated the problem short-term by
recycling some V240 class systems with arrays into Cyrus boxes
with about 3,500 users each, and brought our 2 big Cyrus units
down to 13K-14K users each which seems to work okay.

We spent some time talking to Ken & Co. at CMU on the phone
about what happens in very high loads but haven't come to a
"fix" for what happened to us.  There may not be one.  I can and
will describe all the nitty-gritty of that post-mortem in a post in a
day or two.