Delivery and fetching of new email inconsistent

Brian Wong bwlist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:16:54 EDT 2007

List,
I am in the process of migrating to Cyrus IMAP. I have a test server
(CentOS 5 x86_64) with several accounts and I look forward to placing
the IMAP server in production but I have recently noticed a problem.

Certain emails that are delivered into a mailbox are not visible to
the email client. I believe this may have to do with consecutive
emails to the same mailbox with minimal time between the deliveries,
but I can not consistently reproduce the problem. In this case, two
separate and different emails are delivered and only the first is
visible. I do not believe this is a client specific problem. I have
the general log files indicating delivery and protocol telemetry logs
for the user in question.

It is not until I log out and log back in do I see the second message.

The relevant log snippets mentioned above are attached.
Name: server.log (evidence of consecutive delivery)
Name: user_tel.log (from line 259; evidence of only first message
visible, but not second)
Name: user_tel-2.log (evidence that upon log out and log in, second
message appears)
Name: imapd.conf (for completeness)
Name: cyrus.conf (for completeness)

Bear with me as I am not well versed in IMAP protocol specifics.
The user telemetry logs show that the IDLE daemon notified the client
of a new message through the EXISTS command. When the IMAP client then
does a FETCH command, the server only returns the first of the two
delivered messages. (user_tel.log)

The server is built with the following options
./configure --enable-idled --enable-murder --enable-replication
--enable-listext --with-ldap --with-openssl --with-sasl --with-snmp
--without-bdb --with-cyrus-user=cyrus --with-cyrus-group=cyrus

I am also using the "Parse Received: headers for internaldate" patch
from http://cyrus.brong.fastmail.fm/. I believe this is needed to
retain INTERNALDATE when migrating.

Could the patch from fastmail be the culprit?
What other steps can I take to help troubleshoot this problem?