Cyrus upgrade from 2.1.18 to 2.2.13 moved email messages

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 20:31:33 EST 2007

You would have won some time if you had read one of my previous post
in another thread
about pitfall you can meet when migrating. The thread title is
"Migration 32 to 64 bit".
It could still help you to understand what you did :-)

Be aware that we are not all debian user, and dont know the script and
tips provided by
debian to help in migration. Anyway specify the source of your
information and actions
is a gooud practice.

On Nov 28, 2007 8:55 PM, Steinar Bang <sb at dod.no> wrote:
> [snip]
> > And as far as I can tell it lists ranges and unread and so forth.  But
> > when I try to open the folders I'm told that there are no messages in
> > them.
>
> > Hot damn!  The mailboxes actually _are_ empty!
>
> In the words of James Bond: "That explains the humming!"
>
> Every email message that previously resided under /var/spool/cyrus/mail
> has passed away, kicked the (bit) bucket, bought the box condo, are
> ex-messages etc.
>
> > When did that happen?
>
> Hm... no they didn't.  But they do have a different structure.
>
> What previously was mail/s/user/sb/ is now mail/u/s/user/sb/

This is the directory hashing problem Sebastian is speaking about.
Just restore fulldirhash and hashimapspool to the original value
and it should work, but then you will have a lot of useless directories
created at mailbox restoration with the bad hashing schema.
But it should work.

Or maybe try rehash, but I never used it.

Good luck

> Phew!
>
> And my restored mailbox.db probably points to the old structure...?  So
> how to I create one that points to the new structure?
>
> Ah, the madness! the madness!
>
> google haven't found me anything on this.  Perhaps I have to study the
> emails more closely...
>
> ----

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com