Migration 32 to 64 bit

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:55:24 EST 2007

On Nov 26, 2007 11:04 AM, Giuseppe Ravasio <giuseppe_ravasio at modiano.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm planning the migration of our main cyrus server.
> Actually the server is running cyrus imap 2.2.3 on a SuSE 9.1 i586, with about
> 130Gb of mailboxes.
> My idea is moving to OpenSuse 10.3 with cyrus 2.3.8 on 64bit System.
>
> I googled a bit, but i couldn't find anything useful; i would like to know if
> there are issues moving from 32bit to 64bit and/or moving from 2.2.3 to 2.3.8
> In particular i would like to minimize users impact, preserving mailstores,
> subscriptions and all seen status.
>
> Any hints/comments/precautions???

The rule of thumb is: copy all the data and try if it works (on a
testing system)
, and look in the log file for error messages !
If it don't work, solve problems one by one.

Some thinks to take care:
 - the new features on 2.3.8 you want to use, or the changes you want
to make for yourself.
 - change of the directory hashing.
 - Their is a lot of db : man imapd.conf | grep db
    * some of them can be forgotten, and will be recreated at first
start like duplicate_db, tlscache_db
    * other could be migrated silently or don't need migration (maybe
all skiplist files)
    * other will require a dump on the old system and the use of an
intermediate file format before
      to be restored on the new one. (probably most of the berkeley db
files). Use ctl_mboxlist for mailboxes.db
      and try cvt_cyrusdb with flat format for others.
    * to know the db format you use for any files, look for defaul in
"man imapd.conf", check if you overwritten it
      in your imapd.conf and get confirmation using "file" utility.

Regards

> Thanks
> G.Ravasio
> ----