One more attempt: stuck processes

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:20:55 EST 2007

--On Friday, November 16, 2007 3:54 PM -0500 Ken Murchison
<murch at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I've reproduced the former by telneting to port 995 and doing nothing.
> I have been unable to reproduce the latter because as soon as I QUIT the
> telnet session or kill() the telnet process, pop3d exits gracefully.

I agree with others that you want to do something other than kill the
telnet session, like unplugging the cable.  I've seen similar behavior out
of cyrus that I thought could easily be people on laptops shutting their
computers down hard, in some way that the TCP/IP stack never got a chance
to clean up the connection properly.  With a QUIT or a kill, you're giving
the OS a chance to do the right thing.

-Michael