One more attempt: stuck processes

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Fri Nov 16 16:03:21 EST 2007

-- Ken Murchison <murch at andrew.cmu.edu> is rumored to have mumbled on 16.
November 2007 15:54:50 -0500 regarding Re: One more attempt: stuck
processes:

> That's exactly what Gary is seeing.

Right. Apparently stripped binaries aren't any good for straces.

> Its blocking in SSL_accept().
> Apparently the client connects to port 995, and then either sends
> nothing, or goes away and leaves the socket open.
>
> I've reproduced the former by telneting to port 995 and doing nothing.

Does it time out eventually, i.e. after 10 minutes? If not that in itself
could be considered a bug.

> have been unable to reproduce the latter because as soon as I QUIT the
> telnet session or kill() the telnet process, pop3d exits gracefully.

The question is how pop3d knows that the connection is dropped. And maybe
that's really where dial-up comes into play. In don't know if you're in a
position to test that, but what happens if you telnet to port 995 from
dial-up and then drop the dial-up connection? I guess I might try that from
home now.
--
Sebastian Hagedorn - Postmaster - RZKR-R1 (Flachbau), Zimmer 18
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK