One more attempt: stuck processes

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 12:33:37 EST 2007

On Nov 16, 2007 6:11 PM, Sebastian Hagedorn <Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de> wrote:
> --On 16. November 2007 18:07:51 +0100 Gabor Gombas <gombasg at sztaki.hu>
> wrote:
>
> >> Hm, we don't suffer any actual slowdown, it's just that the number of
> >> processes increases over time.
> >
> > It's not a slowdown - the client connects, and hangs. It never even gets
> > to the authentication phase (at least it's not logged). Clients that
> > happen to connect to a non-affected process run normally.
>
> Well, that just sounds like you're running out of entropy. That's a
> different issue. Recompile your cyrus-sasl to use /dev/urandom instead of
> /dev/random or disable apop in /etc/imapd.conf:
>
> allowapop: 0
>
> Either of those things should get rid of that.

The quick but the bad way to do this is for testing is

# ls -l /dev/*random
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 8 Nov 16 06:18 /dev/random
cr--r--r-- 1 root root 1, 9 Nov  7 22:47 /dev/urandom

# mv /dev/random /dev/random.orig
# ln -sf /dev/urandom /dev/random

And then, because letting /dev/random that way too long is insecure :

# rm -f /dev/random
# mv /dev/random.orig /dev/random

This avoid to recompile the source just for testing.

> --
>      .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
> Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK
> .:.Universität zu Köln / Cologne University - ✆ +49-221-478-5587.:.
>                    .:.:.:.Skype: shagedorn.:.:.:.
> ----

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com