Timed Actions in Sieve

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Fri Nov 16 10:50:32 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 11:24:48AM +0000, Ian G Batten wrote:
> We've been having a chat about how useful it would be to have timed
> actions in sieve: so that a vacation message could be set up for a
> duration which would automatically revert, so that a forwarding could
> be set up for the duration of a short-term project, etc, etc.  The
> naive way is to add support to the sieve interface of choice (the
> squirrelmail plugin in our case) to handle deferred actions, but I
> can think of all sorts of security problems with that.  Another would
> be a means to auto-generate regexps to match on Date: headers, but
> that's really tacky.  The full solution would be to have the current
> time available in sieve scripts, to then match on.  Has anyone else
> thought about this area?

We've had occasional complaints from people who set up a vacation
message and then forgot to remove it later.  They would like to be
able to put a time limit on such things, so that they would stop
working when that limit expires.  More generally, I suppose they
could specify start and stop times, so that they could set up the
sieve script in advance of their vacation.