LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Thu Nov 15 10:04:34 EST 2007

Interesting thought.  We haven't gone to ZFS yet, although I like the idea
a lot.  My hunch is it's an enormous win for the mailbox partitions, but
perhaps it's not a good thing for the meta partition.  I'll have to let
someone else who knows more about ZFS and write speeds vs. read speeds
chime in here.

I have heard tell of funny behavior that ZFS does if you've got
battery-backed write caches on your arrays.  (i.e., ZFS aggressively
flushes those caches, making them essentially useless.)  Here's the best
article I was able to find on it in a short google:

http://blogs.digitar.com/jjww/?itemid=52

Only do that, of course, if you can trust your drives to write the data in
the caches in case of a power outage, and if you don't have any non-battery
backed caches somewhere else on your system.

-Michael

--On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 8:15 PM -0800 Vincent Fox