Squatter causing load spike

Rob Banz rob at nofocus.org
Tue Nov 13 17:07:31 EST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007, at 16:47, Gerard wrote:

> I am running squatter at 3am as a cron job on all of my servers. Over
> the passed week I have one server where squatter spikes the load and
> ends up locking up the server at around 8am every morning. Yeah, it
> seems to take that long to run which may be an issue in itself. Has
> anyone come accross this or have a suggestion on how to get squatter
> to perform better?
> ----

What OS?

Squatter shouldn't be causing "load spikes" unless there's some
resource contention for lock files, etc.

You should also make sure that if you're running cyr_expire, you're
NOT running it concurrently with squatter.  Bad things happen.*  To
get around this, I created a "nightly" shell script which runs
cyr_expire, then squatter, and kick that off as a scheduled task in my
cyrus.conf.

* The bad things come into play if expire & squatter are processing
the same mailbox at the same time.  Squatter will probably just
"stop", and not tell you why.

-rob