LARGE single-system Cyrus installs?

Michael Bacon baconm at email.unc.edu
Tue Nov 13 16:41:14 EST 2007

At the risk of being yet one more techie who thinks he has a workaround...

I'm back (in the past two months) doing Cyrus administration after a three
year break.  I ran Cyrus instance at Duke University before, and am now
getting up to speed to run the one at UNC.  At Duke we started as a
multi-host install, and moved to a single instance just as I was leaving.
Here at UNC, we've been on a single instance for years.  Both places have
been Solaris all along, and both places had over 50k users and receiving
several million messages a day.

Part of the way we handle it here is with massive hardware -- An 8
processor Sun 6800 with the processor boards swapped out to UltraSparc 4s.
These are still a couple of years old at this point.  That said, our CPU
load is really pretty minimal.

While we're on a very old version of Cyrus right now (1.6), I think reading
this that I've got a good feel for what you're looking at.  There's been a
lot of talk about the linked list in the kernel and the fact that it
freezes all processes with that file mmap'ed when the file gets written.
If the spanning of the linked list were really the problem, I think we
would have seen a total system meltdown here a long time ago.

I'm much more inclined to think that what you're running into is all of the
processes freezing during the latency period for the re-write of the
mailboxes file.  This won't show up as I/O blocking on your disk, as there
won't be any real contingency for that file or even for the channel.  But
the latency of the write, while only a few milliseconds, is going to kill
you if your mailboxes file gets big.

I haven't had any role yet in the design and configuration of UNC's system,
but there's one thing we have that I think saves us an enormous amount of
pain.  Since we're still on 1.6, and hence using the "plain text" mailboxes
format, bear in mind that all changes to the mailboxes database involve a
lock on the file, a complete rewrite of the file next to it on the file
system, and a rename() system call.  This is SLOOOWWW.  How are we not dead?

Solid state disk for the partition with the mailboxes database.

This thing is amazing.  We've got one of the gizmos with a battery backup
and a RAID array of Winchester disks that it writes off to if it loses
power, but the latency levels on this thing are non-existent.  Writes to
the mailboxes database return almost instantaneously when compared to
regular spinning disks.  Based on my experience, that's bound to be a much
bigger chunk of time than traversing a linked list in kernel memory.

For anyone doing a big Cyrus install, I would strongly recommend this.

Michael Bacon
ITS - UNC Chapel Hill

--On Friday, November 09, 2007 10:35 AM -0800 Vincent Fox