How many people to admin a Cyrus system?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Nov 8 18:05:39 EST 2007

Gary Mills wrote:
> We have a moderate-sized Cyrus system for 30,000 students and 3000
> employees. ... I know that CMU and other universities want
> to maintain their own e-mail systems.  What's the justification in
> these cases?
>

>From a security perspective, you maintain control and privacy of your
and your user's data. This is one of the main reasons why many people
run their own services, not limited to mail (www,db, instant messaging,
etc). Whether it is the perceived value or because of other obligations
with regard to privacy/security this alone is often justification to
maintain a mail server in-house. There's also the business perspective
of cost, especially cost over time.