Superior hiearchical mailbox creation, after the fact

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Tue May 29 13:00:48 EDT 2007

Ross Boylan wrote:
> I've created INBOX.a.b, INBOX.a.c, and others.  To my suprise, there is no
> INBOX.a folder.  This was discussed previously on this list (2/28/06, similar
> to this messages subject), and is Cyrus's expected behavior.
>
> I've now decided I want a folder INBOX.a, that is something I can move
> messages into.
>
> Is it safe to create such a folder, or will it cause problems, for example
> wiping out the current folders under INBOX.a?

Yes, it's safe. The directory is there, it's just not a mailbox. The
easiest way to fix this is to create it as a mailbox. So, reproducing
your steps, it would look like this:

  localhost> cm user.ross.a.b
  localhost> cm user.ross.a.c
  localhost> cm user.ross.a.d
  localhost> cm user.ross.a

This is actually one of the steps I had to do when migrating from an
mbox-based system, as none of the migration tools had an option to turn
parent folders into mailboxes.