Message expiration policy question

Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster webmaster at sunad.com
Thu May 24 13:44:58 EDT 2007

Hello all,

I have a question with message expiration policies. With cyradm I have
set several message expiration policies on folders, so that old messages
are automatically pruned from the folder. It works pretty well thus far.
But I have a question.

Does cyrus look at the received date in the message itself, or does it
use some sort of file system timestamp (maybe creation date of the file)
to determine which messages are "expired"?

The reason I ask is that spam often comes into the mix, and date info in
the message header are often forged. So how does Cyrus do this?

--
Jason Bailey, Web/IT Administrator
Sun Advocate / Emery County Progress
webmaster at sunad.com / webmaster at ecprogress.com