synchronization/backup mx

Torsten Schlabach tschlabach at gmx.net
Tue May 15 15:59:26 EDT 2007

 > The config you would need is to use drbd to mirror the data
 > directories

Is this officially supported / endorsed?

I learned that Cyrus IMAPd (for whatever reason) is quite picky on
filesystems. From the FAQ:

--- SNIP ---

# Using NFS We don't recommend it. If you want to do it, it may possibly
work but you may also lose your email or have corrupted cyrus.* files.
You can look at the mailing list archives for more information.
# Using AFS/Coda We don't recommend it. It's even less likely to work
than NFS. If you want to do it, it may possibly work but you may also
lose your email or have corrupted cyrus.* files. CMU's previous e-mail
system, AMS, leveraged AFS extensively for storage (and transit)
purposes. For various reasons it didn't scale particularly well and led
to CMU's interest in IMAP.

Cyrus was designed to use a local filesystem with Unix semantics and a
working mmap()/write() combination. AFS doesn't provide these semantics
so won't work correctly.

--- SNIP ----

The concept of mirroring the BerkeleyDB database files on a filesystem
level does not sound that reliable to me. I might be wrong ...

Regards,
Torsten