Replication speeds?

Wesley Craig wes at umich.edu
Wed May 9 14:01:39 EDT 2007

Obviously looking at more iostat information would give a better
idea, but I'd estimate that you are NOT I/O bound.  Sorry I can't
give you absolute numbers from UM, but I can share a patch that we
wrote that we believe has increase sync throughput substantially, as
evidenced by the lack of a sync backlog which we were getting before
we added the patch.

The patch itself is pretty simple.  As with most TCP-based request-
response protocols, the Cyrus sync protocol suffers from artificial
"Nagle" delays.  See:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagle's_algorithm

for what's good about Nagle's algorithm.  The patch disables Nagle
delays in both sync_client and sync_server.

:wes