Fatal error: failed to mmap cache file

Andrew Morgan morgan at orst.edu
Tue Mar 27 11:28:58 EST 2007

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007, Ian P. Christian wrote:

> I have a mailbox on my server wither just under 6600 emails in it.
>
> The cyrus.cache file is 1/2 a gig in size:
>
> # ls -lah cyrus.*
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 536M Mar 27 13:46 cyrus.cache
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail  171 Mar 27 13:12 cyrus.header
> -rw------- 1 cyrus mail 386K Mar 27 13:46 cyrus.index
>

> When a user attempts to access their mailbox, I see this in the logs:
>
> imaplo[29053]: login: localhost [127.0.0.1] postmaster at domain.com plaintext
> User logged in
> imaplo[29053]: IOERROR: mapping cache file for domain.com!user.postmaster:
> Cannot allocate memory
> imaplo[29053]: Fatal error: failed to mmap cache file
> master[29953]: process 29053 exited, status 75
> master[29953]: service imaplo pid 29053 in BUSY state: terminated abnormally
>

> Can anyone suggest what might be causing this?

Well clearly there isn't enough memory available to mmap a file that
large...  :)

I'm more curious why that cyrus.cache file is so large.  6600 emails is
not an unusually large amount to have in a mailbox.  For example, I have a
mailbox with 1739 messages in it, and the cyrus.cache file is only 1.6 MB.
Maybe the cyrus.cache file is corrupted or retaining old cache entries?
It should be safe to delete that file and reconstruct the mailbox, because
no additional information is stored in the cache file which is not already
present in the message files.

 	Andy