Questions... need Sieve primer

Florian Gleixner flo at bier.homeip.net
Thu Mar 15 11:20:44 EST 2007

Since i had a hard time too to get sieveshell working here my workflow
how i found that out:
Do a telnet to your cyrus server port sieve(2000). It should give you a
hello and the capabilities:

telnet mailserver 2000

"IMPLEMENTATION" "Cyrus timsieved v2.2.13"
"SASL" "GSSAPI LOGIN PLAIN CRAM-MD5 DIGEST-MD5"
"SIEVE" "fileinto reject envelope vacation imapflags notify subaddress
relational comparator-i;ascii-numeric regex"
"STARTTLS"
OK

The second line gives you the auth mechs. I had a problem once where
there were no mechs listed there. The cause was a wrong entry in
imapd.conf in the field sasl_mech_list (which is not documented!).

Check your /var/log/messages while trying to log in. Saslauthd maybe
gives you some hints what she's trying.

try
sieveshell --authname=someusername mailserver:2000

One unsoved problem on my side: It tries some auth mechs and the first
one always fails, so it may be possible that the password is only
accepted on the 2nd or 3rd prompt because the first ones were unusable
mechs.

Flo