Questions... need Sieve primer

Malcolm Locke malc at e2-media.co.nz
Wed Mar 14 19:35:52 EST 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 05:34:52PM -0600, Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:
> Roland Felnhofer wrote:
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > is that what you want?
> >
> > # Mail rules to file Junk
> > require ["fileinto"];
> > if allof (header :contains  "X-Spam-Flag" "YES") {
> >     fileinto "INBOX.Junk";
> > }
> >
> > Best regards
> > Roland
> >
> > Jason Bailey, Sun Advocate Webmaster wrote:
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I am familiar with what Sieve does, but have never used it. We now
> have a need, and I'm struggling to find info on sieve, particularly
> relating to Cyrus.
> >>
> >> I want a sieve script that moves all mail marked as junk by spam
> assassin (x-spam-flag) into the "Junk" folder (for only one of 4 domains
> we host).
> >>
> >> Is this possible, and if so, is there a good place to look for help?
> I know my Cyrus has sieve support and the directories are defined, but I
> don't know how to enable or install the script, and I have few questions
> on sieve scripting in general.
> >>
> >> Suggestions?
> >>

> I think so, except I need it to only apply to one mail domain. In other
> words, if recipient is part of domain.com1, and X-Spam-Flag is set to
> YES, move it into the junk - otherwise do nothing. The reasoning is that
> the other domains we host are entirely POP3 based, and mail moved into
> junk folders on the server could be detrimental to their work flow.

Sieve is applied per mailbox, not across the whole server.  To upload
and enable the sieve script 'mysieve' for mailbox 'joebloggs':

    $ sieveshell -a joebloggs -u joebloggs cyrusserver
    # Enter joebloggs IMAP / POP password
    > put mysieve
    > activate mysieve
    > list
    mysieve <- active script

You will have to tune the contents of 'mysieve' to your needs, if you
google 'spamassassin sieve' you should find plenty of examples.

Malc

Malcolm Locke - Systems Administrator, http://www.e2-media.co.nz/