Exchange's handling of Sieve Reject

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Mar 14 08:27:03 EST 2007

Users on two separate Exchange servers here have reported that they
don't see the reason part of messages rejected by sieve.

The Cyrus user has a reject rule.  I can reproduce it simply as:
--------------------

##INGO
# sieve filter generated by Ingo (March 14, 2007, 8:51 am)

require "reject";

# Sieve Reject Test
if header :comparator "i;ascii-casemap" :contains "Subject" "please reject
this message"  {
    reject "You want it rejected, you get it rejected.";
    stop;
}

---------------------
To see precisely what is returned, send mail to jb51 at columbia.edu with
the subject "please reject this message".  The mime message looks
syntactically correct to me, as follows:

main message is multipart/report
	part 1 is text/plain
	part 2 is message/disposition-notification
	part 3 is message/rfc822

The Exchange messages were viewed with Outlook.  Outlook users did not
see any of the message sent by Sieve, but only a new text generated by
Exchange or Outlook that looks like this: