Controlling Sort Order

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 12 21:50:33 EST 2007

> I am trying to control whether when sorting by the recipient or sender
> whether it sorts by the name or by the email address. Is this possible?

It's defined by the IMAP sort extension.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-imapext-sort-19

         FROM
            [IMAP] addr-mailbox of the first "From" address.

            [IMAP] addr-mailbox of the first "To" address.

So it really only sorts by the localpart of the email address, not even the
domain is included, something that's annoyed our users as well since you
basically end up with UID sorting for the localparts that are the same but
different domains. That's the "standard" though... *sigh*

Rob