POP3 Timeouts?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Wed Mar 7 13:23:27 EST 2007

I am having a problem where long POP transactions are being closed by
the server.

I turned on per-user debugging, but didn't actually see the problem
until I ran a packet sniffer(wireshark) on the server.

The transaction goes as follows:
1) Client connects/auths
2) Client lists mailbox contents and retrieves messages in order
3) Client requests a large message, server send the message
4) Client issues the dele command, server issues a TCP RST (client
obliges with a Fin,Ack effectively closing the connection)

No errors are present in the log and the per user debugging makes it
look as though the client never issued a dele/quit.

This appears to be the POP timeout as increasing the timeout allowed the
download of larger messages. Is this the way the POP timeout is supposed
to work? I would assume as long as data is continuously being requested
by the client the timeout would not be counting. Is the timeout counter
instead based on the time between commands issued by the client?. I am
using Cyrus 2.3.1

Thanks,
-Blake