Username different from mailbox

Rudy Gevaert Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be
Tue Mar 6 12:04:15 EST 2007

Jorey Bump wrote:
> Patrick Kranz wrote:
>
>> Now I have a customer, who needs the scenario that the usernames for
>> Cyrus differ from the mailbox and mailaddress respectivly. For example
>> user1 at testdomain.com should be able to login with the username
>> someOtherUsername. This need arises from an integration with other
>> software-packages. Is there any possibility to make this work?
>
> Yes, this is no different from any other alias or virtual setup that
> offers multiple addresses to individual users. You would handle this in
> the MTA. For example, I use virtual_alias_maps with Postfix, and map all
> addresses to the corresponding cyrus IMAP user:
>
>  abuse at example.com        admin
>  admin at example.com        admin
>  postmaster at example.com        admin
>  bob at example.com        bob
>  robert.smith at example.com    bob
>
> You can also use the aliases file and other approaches.

He wants to know how the user can login with login name 'foo' to mailbox
called 'bar', that has login 'bar' associated with it.

You can solve this with perdition.  You let perdition translate username
'foo' into username 'bar'.

I don't know if you can achieve this with saslauthd.

Rudy Gevaert          Rudy.Gevaert at UGent.be          tel:+32 9 264 4734
Directie ICT, afd. Infrastructuur ICT Department, Infrastructure office
Groep Systemen                    Systems group
Universiteit Gent                 Ghent University
Krijgslaan 281, gebouw S9, 9000 Gent, Belgie               www.UGent.be