Slow lmtpd

John Madden jmadden at ivytech.edu
Mon Mar 5 11:26:57 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 12:19 -0300, Andre Nathan wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 14:23 +1100, Rob Mueller wrote:
> > %util - Percentage of CPU time during which I/O requests were issued to the
> > device (bandwidth utilization for the device). Device saturation occurs when
> > this value is close to 100%.
>
> Can values way above 100% be trusted? If so, it's pretty bad (this is
> from a situation where there are 200 lmtp processes, which is the
> current limit I set):

No way -- set your lmtp processes to like 5 and configure your
concurrency in your MTA to the same value (or n-1).  There's no way your
disk system (or any other) is going to be able to handle 200 lmtpd's
writing simultaneously.

Even with our SAN, I only allow *3* lmtpd's to write concurrently.

John

--
John Madden
Sr. UNIX Systems Engineer