can not run mupdate master on a unified server

Gary Mills mills at cc.umanitoba.ca
Sun Mar 4 10:03:56 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 07:07:19PM -0600, Gary Mills wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 04:49:28PM -0600, Gary Mills wrote:
> > I just ran into this error:
> >
> > 	can not run mupdate master on a unified server
> >
> > when I tried to test a Cyrus murder configuration with one unified
> > server and one backend server.  Can I assume that the mupdate master
> > won't run on the backend either?  Is this because of a database
> > conflict?

By reading the source, I determined that the mupdate master maintains
the same mailboxes database that's used for local mailboxes.  That's
why it can't be run on a unified server or on a backend server.
Giving the mupdate master its own mailboxes database would solve this
problem.  In that case, each unified or frontend server would require
a mupdate slave to synchronize its mailboxes file to the master copy.

> I got around this problem by running the mupdate master under a
> separate instance of Cyrus master, with its own imapd.conf file.  I
> can now run `ctl_mboxlist -m' successfully on either the unified
> front/back server or a backend server.  Mailboxes from both of these
> appear in the mupdate master's mailboxes.db file.
>
> However when I run either `ctl_mboxlist -d' or `cyradm' on the
> unified server, they show only the mailboxes on that one server.
> What's missing?  Do I also need a mupdate slave on that server?
> How is mailboxes.db supposed to get updated on a unified server?

By reading the source, I determined that only the mupdate slave is
able to synchronize a local mailboxes database with the master copy.
So, I moved the mupdate master to the backend server, again running it
under a separate instance of Cyrus master, with its own imapd.conf
file.  Now everything works.  The mailboxes database on the unified
server now contains both local and remote mailboxes.