Slow lmtpd

Rob Mueller robm at fastmail.fm
Fri Mar 2 22:28:23 EST 2007

>> After running iostat on my cyrus partition (both config and mail spool
>> are
>> kept on a SAN), I'm wondering if I should separate them out as well.
>> This
>> sounds related to the new metapartition and metapartition_files options
>> that were added in v2.3.x.
>>
>> Does anyone have any recommendations or guidance on this topic?
>
> Yes, people, please share :)

We sponsored the patches that split out meta data and spool data and have
found splitting them very useful. Even though the meta partition is only
1/20th the size of the spool partition, the meta partitions still get more
IO. That shows how lopsided the IO in cyrus is towards meta data, so
anything you can do to put the meta data on high-speed, low latency storage
is a help.

Also the more memory you have the better. Allowing the OS lots of spare
memory to cache the cyrus.* files in memory is a great help as well.

Rob