cyrus 2.3.8, internal dates not stored in message file time ? [SOLVED]

Nicolas KOWALSKI nicolas.kowalski at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:00:57 EDT 2007

On 6/22/07, David Carter <dpc22 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Nicolas KOWALSKI wrote:
>
> > The source and target mailboxes are on the same user account, same
> > partition, but strace shows that link is not used in 2.3.8. The
> > following traces are obtained with strace, when copying messages from
> > testbox to testbox3 with cyrus 2.2.12 and to testbox4 with cyrus
> > 2.3.8. In both case, I used the same configuration/mailstore/client:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > There must be something really wrong in my configuration...
>
> Is singleinstancestore disabled in your imapd.conf?
>
> While mailbox_copyfile() hasn't changed, the parent routine index_copy()
> appears to have gained an extra argument, and the top level cmd_copy
> handler in imapd.c has:
>
>   r = index_copy(imapd_mailbox, sequence, usinguid, mailboxname, &copyuid,
>                  !config_getswitch(IMAPOPT_SINGLEINSTANCESTORE));

You are completely right ! :-)

As soon as I put singleinstancestore to 'yes' in imapd.conf,
everything went as in 2.2.12: message file times are good (and BTW I
get back decent performance).

Actually, this *is* something I missed in the docs:

2.2.12:
   If enabled, lmtpd and nntpd attempt to only write one copy of a message per
    partition and create hard links, resulting in a potentially large
disk savings.

2.3.8:
    If enabled, imapd, lmtpd and nntpd attempt to only write one copy
of a message per
    partition and create hard links, resulting in a potentially large
disk savings.

Many thanks to all:

David for his solution,
Bron and Rob for their wonderful patches,

Best regards,
--
Nicolas