problem with admin-user

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Fri Jun 1 10:04:55 EDT 2007

Philippe Trolliet wrote:
> now i need to specify an admin user for every single domain because of the
> @domain.com.
> in FC4 everything worked fine with the single admin account cyrus without a
> realm.

My comments may be completely irrelevant for you, because I don't use
saslauthd, pam, mysql, virtdomains, or (shudder) Fedora Core, but are
you sure you need the extra complexity? For example, I host mail for
many different domains, but manage them under a single (portable) realm,
with a single admin user. Users have no knowledge of the realm, and it
isn't required for logins (which means I have the extra burden of
keeping all logins unique). I just need to set the defaultdomain in
imapd.conf, and add every user to sasldb2 as a member of that realm (I'm
aware you're not using sasldb2, but maybe your realm issue is related).

I did this because I prefer bare logins. Although logins with appended
realms have a certain logical appeal, I think it would still cause
issues with users who don't understand realms. A bare login and password
is easier to understand and explain, especially when multiple addresses
are aliased to a single account. But I digress. If you're tied to your
current system, this won't be of much help to you.